A Beginner’s Guide to the Zen Tea Ceremony
This book masterfully captures the essence of the Japanese tea ceremony—its role in decluttering the mind and focusing on the present—while also introducing the objects and rituals that make it unique.
Author Randall Channell Soei—the highest-ranked non-Japanese within the Urasenke tea ceremony tradition—has been teaching the ancient method of preparing, serving and drinking tea to Japanese and foreigners for over 20 years from his studio in Kyoto, Japan. In this book, he explains the key elements behind the practice and spirituality of the tea ceremony:
- The meditative and mindful aspects of chado, or the Way of Tea
- Using the tea ceremony as a window onto other Japanese-based meditative and mindful practices and concepts
- The tea ceremony as a point of entry for beginners to Zen meditation, using the ritualized concepts of the Chanoyu
- Its role as an art form, complemented by the study and appreciation of art, landscape architecture and cuisine
- The notion of omotenashi, or a selfless dedication to supreme hospitality, as a meditative concept
With a foreword by Genshitsu Sen, the 15th-generation leader of the famed Urasenke School of Tea, this is the perfect introduction to Chanoyu—a mindful ritual and meditative practice long synonymous with the Japanese way of life.
The Book of Chanoyu
京都を拠点に20年にわたって、世界に茶道の魅力を発信するカナダ人裏千家教授ランディー・チャネル宗榮が、「茶の湯」を軸に日本文化をヴィジュアルにわかりやすく伝える本。奥深さと美で外国人をひきつける茶の湯。けれどもそれは、多くの外国人はもとより日本人にとっても疑問や謎が多いもの。何のために集まってお茶を飲むのか? 何故、ルールがあるのか? 何故、長きにわたって受け継がれているのか? インターナショナルな視点で要点を読み解き、紹介する英文併記のバイリンガルブックです。
Canadian Urasenke professor Randy Channell Soei continues to disseminate the charm of chanoyu in Kyoto for more than 20 years. This book contains many photos and illustrations, which explain chanoyu and Japanese culture in an easy-to-understand manner. Not only foreigners but also Japanese people are attracted to Chanoyu with its depth and beauty. Why do people gather and drink tea? Why are there rules? Why has this tradition lasted so long? In this bilingual book, Randy Channell Soei guides the reader with his international perspective and experience.